The following guidelines were adopted for implementation by SANIRE Council in 2010 to demonstrate the institute’s awareness of the scarcity of natural resources and the threat to the environment by human activity:
Administrative practices at the SANIRE office aim at reducing consumption, recycling materials and reusing items where possible.
- Strict lights-off and power-down policy when the office is not occupied.
- Invoicing and newsletters are distributed by e-mail; printing of official documents on recycled paper.
- E-mails carry a ‘please-do-not-print’ warning.
- Web site carries an appeal to members to engage in environmentally friendly practices.
- No bottled water at conferences and symposia.
- Lift clubs are encouraged when attending conferences and council meetings (web site facility).
- Annual tree planting initiative and/or donation to Trees for Africa to offset carbon footprint.
- “Green levy” of R30 per member charged annually to offset carbon foot print by means of suitable donations.
These ‘green rules’ were implemented provisionally after the 2009 AGM; the green levy became effective in the 2009/2010 financial year.